© Mennonite Heritage Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba (Last updated 26 February 2008)
Retrieval numbers: Volume 5305
Title: Rosefarm Evangelical Mennonite Mission Church fonds
Extent: 5 cm of textual records
Repository: Mennonite Heritage Centre Archives
The Rosefarm EMMC church was started in 1937 as one of the early churches of the Rudnerweider Mennoniten Gemeinde that had broken away from the Sommerfeld Mennonite Church in 1937 under the leadership of Rev. Wilhelm H. Falk. Early church services were held in hay lofts until December 1937 when the church building was dedicated. Rosefarm was supported by three early ministers of the Rudnerweider organization, namely J.P. Gerbrandt, J.P. Bergen, and Gerhard Froese. In 1959 the Gemeinde decentralized and changed its name to the Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference (EMMC). The in the area started in the 1920s and was moved Rosefarm congregation was situated north of the Mennonite West Reserve and thus had to deal with more outside influences.
Sunday school in the area started in the 1920s and was moved to the church in 1946, shortly after the new basement was built. In 1966 the church moved to a Sunday school hour and a worship service rather than hosting both simultaneously. The church also hosted the local choir.
The missions program was an important part of the congregation. It began on October 9, 1950. People met for prayer meetings, supported missionaries through prayer and financial support. In 1953 the first Missionary Conference was held in the church and continued annually.
After 1947 John G. Froese served as leader of the group. When he left in 1960, deacon Corney Harder was called as minister, and subsequently served until 1965 when he moved to serve the church in Austin, Manitoba. In 1966 Norman Groening was called to serve the church in Rosefarm. In 1975 the church closed due to low numbers and some internal difficulties.
The materials in this fonds consists of personal testimony statements from membership applicants, minutes, correspondence, bulletins, sermon notes, personal testimony statements from membership applicants and planning materials for a reunion. This records show the birth, life and closured of a small rural congregation that belonged to the Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference.
Inventory file list
Evangelical Mennonite Missions Conference fonds
The materials in this fond were deposited in 2007 by EMMC archivist Martha Martens on behalf of the church.
Arranged by Martha Martens. Described by Conrad Stoesz February 13, 2008.
No restrictions on access.
Accession numbers: 2008-005
- Rosefarm Mission conference bulletins. – 1957-1974. – Note: Scattered copies.
- Financial statement. – 1967-1974. – Note: scattered.
- Missions correspondence. – 1962-1969.
- Church meeting and sermon notes. – [197-?].
- Personal testimonies for applying for membership. – 1958-1976.
- Annual brotherhood meeting minutes. -- 1968-1971 – Note: scattered.
- Church closing program (includes history) and Rosefarm church reunion. – 1975, 1987.
- Rosefarm Christian Fellowship order of service programs. – 1968-1975.
- Rosefarm Social Committee minutes. – 1965-1975.
- Rosefarm Christlicher Jugendverein order of service programs. – 1958-1963.
- Financial ledger. – 1960-1975.