© Mennonite Heritage Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba (Last updated 19 April 2010)
The Christian Burial Benefit Society (CBBS) began in 1955 in Winnipeg when some pastors and laymen decided to form an organization that would share the funeral costs of fellow Christians. The first executive consisted of Jacob B. Klassen, as chairman, A. J. Bergen as vice-chairman and J. P. Unrau, as secretary. The CBBS was not an insurance organization. The aim of the Society was to mutually share the burden of funeral expenses, with fellow believers as outlined in the New Testament in Galatians 6:2. "Bear one another's burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ." The fees were very low, and there was a schedule that set fees depending on age. The number of members began to diminish during the 1990s and a decision was made in June 1999 to liquidate the Society. The remaining funds were divided between the remaining members. The final cheque was dated February 21, 2000.
The Christian Burial Benefit Society fonds includes its constitution, lists of members, account information, minutes of the board and membership, annual reports, correspondence, death certificates, applications, cancellations, ledgers of expenses and copies of some receipts and cheques. These records relate to how a group of Christians (mainly of Mennonite background) practiced the mutual sharing of funeral expenses incurred by their families during the last half of the 20th Century in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, including how the vision began and how the decision to terminate was made.
Inventory file list
Described by Christie Anne McCullough April 9, 2010
No restrictions on access.
John A. Thiessen - last chairman of the board.
Acc. No. 2000-084
- Constitution, membership card.
- List of members and addresses.-1965-1997.
- Individual/Family accounts, A-D.-1963-1984.
- Individual/Family accounts, E-J.-1963-1984.
- Individual/Family accounts, K-S.-1963-1984.
- Individual/Family accounts, T-Z.-1963-1984.
- Individual/Family accounts, A-Mc.-1981-1984.
- Individual/Family accounts, N-Z.-1981-1984.
- Cancelled accounts, A-K.-1955-1984.
- Cancelled accounts, L-Z.-1955-1984.
- New membership application forms.-1986-1998.
- Death certificates.-1957-1985.
- Death certificates.-1986-1998.
- Minutes, financial records.-1960-1979.
- Minutes, financial records.-1980-1989.
- Minutes, financial records.-1990-2000.
- Minutes of CBBS.-1955-1985
- Duplicate receipts.-1959-1960.
- Duplicate receipts.-1960-1961.
- Ledger of expenses.-1958-1994.
- Ledger of expenses.-1994-2000.
- Rubber stamps.
- Individual/Family accounts.-1958-1960.