© Mennonite Heritage Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba (Last updated April 15, 2013)
Retrieval numbers: Volumes 4764-4769, Photograph Collection no. 499
Title: Adventure Crossroads fonds
Extent: 46 cm of textual records
Extent: 42 photographs
Extent: and other material
Repository: Mennonite Heritage Centre Archives
Adventure Crossroads Incorporated traces its beginning to 1969 when a group of Mennonite volunteers decided to become involved in the lives of Winnipeg's inner city people. They formed a group called the Inner City Community Ministry Project. One of their first projects was to coordinated a camp for disadvantaged families. In 1971, Inner City Community Ministry Project changed its name to Crossroads and on January 14, 1974 Crossroads incorporated to become Adventure Crossroads Inc.
Crossroads worked on the premise that many people who needed help were not taking advantage of resources available to them. In order to alleviate this problem, members of Crossroads tried to develop personal relationships with people in the inner city in order to foster a greater sense of community and promote greater involvement.
Crossroad attempted to develop these personal relationships through their programs such as creating a receiving home, a foster home, and a learning centre for children with behavioral problems called Alexander Place. One of their largest and longest lasting projects was a family centre. Run at first out of Maclean House and then later out of 211 Isabel Street, this family centre provided a place for residents of the area to gather and participate together in activities.
A few Mennonite churches provided most of the volunteers and financies. When Crossroads became Adventure Crossroads Incorporated, a board was created consisting of representatives from these churches. Although volunteers made up the majority of the staff, there were also various employees.
Adventure Crossroads official dissolved on November 30, 1995.
This fonds consists of minutes from meetings, financial records, correspondence, photographs, insurance and employee records, reports, projects and proposals.
Finding aid consists of an inventory file list.
Ken Kroeker, last Treasurer of Adventure Crossroads, Inc. transfered this collection to the Mennonite Heritage Centre archives on October 22, 1996.
Description completed by Aileen Dyck in June 1999. Updated by Alf Redekopp, July 2004.
Accession No. 96-084
Other material consists of artifacts such as the corporation seal and the treasurer's "for deposit only..." stamp.
- Legal documents- 1989, 1990.
- Expenditure and income-1977-1979.
- Financial ledger 1986-1991.
- Financial ledger 1991-1996.
- Income and deductions 1979-1982.
- Family Centre financial ledger- 1983-1986.
- Group home ledger- 1979-1982.
- Payroll -1981-1993.
- Employee records- 1972-1974, 1979-1993, 1995.
- Insurance policies-1976-1992 (some material undated).
- Correspondence 1969-1973.
- Correspondence 1974, 1975, 1977-1989.
- Correspondence 1990-1995(some material undated).
- Official Minutes book-1973-1978.
- Minutes -1970-1974.
- Minutes - 1974-1976, 1978-1982.
- Minutes -1983-1991, 1993-1995.
- Minutes of group and committee meetings- 1972, 1991, 1992.
- Board meeting minutes- 1973, 1974, 1991.
- Financial reports 1970-1973, 1978-1982, 1993-1996.
- Financial report charts-1983-1993.
- Financial statements and balance sheets-1971-1979.
- Financial statements and balance sheets- 1980-1994(some material undated).
- Budgets- 1974, 1978, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1986, 1993.
- Financial records-1972-1974.
- Invoices-1979, 1982, 1989-1992.
- Legal documents-1974, 1978-1980, 1981-1983, 1985-1987.
- Reports of activities-1970-1973.
- Financial report presentation to churches- 1993.
- Proposals for projects- 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993(some material undated).
- Alexander Place-1971-1974 (some material undated).
- Maclean House- 1972-1974.
- Camp project 1969-1971.
- Robertson House- 1970, 1971, 1973.
- Group foster home-1978-1980 (some material undated).
- Records for receiving and group home-1973, 1974.
- Adult literacy handbook-1995.
- History and Administrative information
Artifacts: a "for deposit only…" stamp
Artifacts: 2 official seals (See MHC artifact collection)
Photograph Collection 499
Adventure Crossroads Incorporated499:1 Two women preparing food
499:2 A little girl and a woman playing in a sandbox
499:3 A little girl and a woman playing in a sandbox
499:4 Three people preparing food
499:5 A woman sewing
499:6 A man cutting meat
499:7 An elderly woman sitting on a couch
499:8 Children playing on a structure
499:9 Three people looking at a paper
499:10 A contact sheet with 33 images