©Mennonite Heritage Centre 2002
Last updated April 17, 2002
Title: Grace Mission Mennonite Church
(Meadow Lake) fonds
Extent: 28 cm of textual records
Mennonite immigrants moved to the area around Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan in the 1920s. Three small rural congregations were founded during the following years. In the 1950s it was decided to begin a congregation in the town of Meadow Lake. They completed their own meeting house in 1957 with the assistance and support of the local rural congregations and the conference Mission Board. The Mission Board continued its financial support until 1974. In 1977 the congregation built a new meeting house. The membership was 38 in 1975. In 1986 it was 111 and in 1991 it was 102. The congregation withdrew its membership in the Conference of Mennonites in Canada in 1991. The leaders of the congregation were: David Friesen (1958-1963), Fred Heese (1963-1966), Edwin Brandt (1967-1971), John Jackson (1971-1974), Edwin Giesbrecht (1975-1985), Wesley Dobson (1987-1991).
This fonds contains bulletins (1968-1979), correspondence (1957-1978), reports (1956-1978), annual reports (1958-1991), financial records (1953-1959), congregational meeting minutes (1957-1974), church board/council meeting minutes (1959-1969), outreach committee meeting minutes (1977-1978), and a brief congregational history (1977). The records pertain to the development of the congregation and they document some of the leaders and participants in it.
Inventory file list available.
No restrictions on access.
Textual records were deposited by the congregation at the Mennonite Heritage Centre. Described by Bert Friesen 13 February 2002.