©Mennonite Heritage Centre 2002
Last updated April 17, 2002
Title: Eyebrow Mennonite Church fonds
Extent: 8 cm of textual records
Mennonites settled in the Eyebrow area half way between Regina and Swift Current and slightly north in the 1920s. In 1928 a congregation was founded. In 1934 a large part of the congregation moved to the Yorkton area. Before they left the membership was 85. The group that remained had a membership of 33 in 1935. By 1954 the membership stood at 64. In 1954 the congregation divided into two congregations with one having 27 and the other 25 members. The original congregation took the name First Mennonite Eyebrow and the other the Eyebrow Mennonite Church. Both struggled until 1969 when the group that left dissolved. The original congregation retained the First Mennonite Eyebrow name until 1982 when it changed back to the Eyebrow Mennonite Church name. It had 28 members in 1982. In 2000 the membership stood at 25. The leaders of the congregation were: Johann Martens (1928-1934) and Peter Martens (1928-1934) [brothers who left with the group to form a new congregation in the Yorkton area], Bernhard Rempel (1930-1980), David Bückert (1938-1987) [these two leaders remained with the original congregation after the 1954 split], Gerhard Fedrau (1944-1954) [then after the split he led the other congregation until it dissolved, 1955-1969], John Bueckert (1966-1967), John Heinrichs (1967-1977), Herman Wiebe (1978-1982), Charles Stein (1983-1987), Ernest Bueckert (1988-1989), Jake Klaassen (19890-1991), David Bueckert (1994-1995), Orlando Bueckert (1991-1993, 1996- ).
The fonds contains registers (1928-1962) and congregational bulletins (1976-1989) which pertain to the Mennonite congregation in Eyebrow, Saskatchewan. The records document the some of the leaders and participants of the congregation.
Inventory file list available.
No restrictions on access.
Accession number 2011-030
Textual records were submitted by the congregation to the Mennonite Heritage Centre in 1990 and 1991. Described by Bert Friesen 4 February 2002. In 2011 Ed Krahn donated the church register of the church where Ed's grandfather, Johan J. Martens, was the leading minister