©Mennonite Heritage Centre 2002
Last updated April 17, 2002
Title: Dunnville Mennonite Church fonds
Extent: 12 cm of textual records
Some Mennonites who came to Ontario in the immigration from Russia in the 1920s settled on the Grand River near Lake Erie. Others settled closer to Vineland. The Dunnville group began meeting in homes for worship. In 1949 a congregation was formally organized as the Dunnville United Mennonite Church. The congregation worshiped in rented facilities. In 1951 it moved into its own meeting house. In 1963 this building was expanded. The membership was 47 in 1953. In 1980 it was 31 and in 1999 it was 18 when the congregation dissolved. The leaders of the congregation were: George Dick (1927-1936), Jacob Penner (1951-1972), Nicholas Schmidt (1938-1967), and Henry Schmidt (1961-1997).
The fonds contains bulletins (1975-1996), annual reports (1982-1992), congregational meeting minutes (1984-1990), and a brief congregational history (1977).
Inventory file list available.
No restrictions on access.
Textual records have been deposited by the congregation at the Mennonite Heritage Centre. Described by Bert Friesen 12 March 2002.