©Mennonite Heritage Centre 2003
Last updated 29-Apr-10
Title: Avon Mennonite Church fonds
Extent: 8 cm of textual records
The Avon Mennonite Church was the result of outreach efforts in the town of Stratford, Ontario in the early 1950s. The congregation was formally organized in 1951-1952. It began as the Stratford Mission. In 1960 they became an independent congregation called the Avon Amish Mennonite Church. In 1964 the conference changed to the Western Ontario Mennonite Conference and so 'Amish' was dropped from the congregation's name. The membership in 1961 was 4. In 1970 it was 22, in 1980 it was 49. The membership stood at 60 in 1990 and 92 in 2000. They met in their own meeting house until 1994 when they moved into the senior citizen complex in Stratford. The leaders of the congregation were: Jacob Spenler (1960-1962), Kenneth Bender (1963-1970), Arthur Leis (1967-1969), Winston Martin (1969-1973), Rod Weber (1975-1985), Doris Weber (1984-1985), Gary Horst (1985- ).
The fonds contains weekly bulletins (1997-2002) which document the activities of the congregation and its participants.
Inventory file list available.
No restrictions on access.
Textual records have been deposited by the congregation on a regular basis at the Mennonite Heritage Centre. Described by Bert Friesen 13 March 2002.
1. Avon Mennonite church bulletins (2005)
2. Avon Mennonite Church bulletins (2006); 2005 annual report book
3. Avon Mennonite Church bulletins (2007)
4. Avon Mennonite Church bulletins (2008)
5. Avon Mennonite Church bulletins (2009)
6. Avon Mennonite Church bullletins (2010)