©Mennonite Heritage Centre 2002
Last updated 22 February 2019
Title: Nordheim Mennonite Church fonds
Extent: 8 cm of textual records
Mennonite immigrants from Russia settled in the Winnipegosis and Fork River areas in the 1920s. A meeting was held February 18, 1931, organized by Aeltester Johan P. Bueckert. Here it was agreed that the families would meet for Bible study and take truns reading sermons to the group every Sunday. A Sunday school for the children was established with Johann Warkentin elected as teacher. The families also agreed to teach their children the High German language. In 1933 the group formally organized as a congregation. In 1935 they built their own meeting house. Ältester J. Bückert who remained a resident of Gretna served as their intitial leader. In 1953 C.C. Janzen became their 'resident' Ältester. Because of its geographic isolation from the rest of the conference congregations, it did not become too involved in conference activities but rather concentrated its efforts on a local camping programme. The leaders of the congregation were: C.C. Janzen (1953-1979), Abram Bergen (1933-1965), Henry Klassen (1959-1996), Jake Wiebe (1959-1998), Gerhard Goertzen (1934-1936), Jacob Martens (1933-1941), Glenn Nickerson (1981-1984), D. Rempel (1984-1989), George Oosterveld (1989-1990), David Wiebe (1993), Don Read (1994-1999), Abe Krahn (2000- )
The fonds contains the weekly Sunday bulletins (1997-2000) which show the regular weekly activities of its leaders and participants, two history publications and minutes from the meeting on February 18, 1931.
Inventory file list available.
No restrictions on access.
Accession number 2012-079.
Textual records were deposited at the Mennonite Heritage Centre. Described by Bert Friesen 11 December 2001. Updated by Conrad Stoesz 9 November 2012. Updated by Selenna Wolfe 22 February 2019.