©Mennonite Heritage Centre 2002
Last updated 21 September 2020
Title: Lena Mennonite Church fonds
Dates: 1926-1970, 2003
Extent: 8 cm of textual records
In the 1920s Mennonites, consisting mostly of immigrants from Russia, began settling in the Lena area of Manitoba. A group began to meet for worship in 1926 and became part of the Whitewater Gemeinde. The congregation grew to about 75 members just before dissolution in 1968. Many of the members joined the Killarney congregation. The leaders of the congregation were: Franz Enns (1926-1931), Hermann Sawatzky (1933-1934), Heinrich Epp (1934-1945), Jacob Peters (1946-1956), Abram Neufeld (1956-1968).
This fonds consists of minutes, financial records, and a family register which pertain to the beginning, development, and dissolution of the Mennonite congregation at Lena, part of the Whitewater Gemeinde. It documents who the leaders and participants were in the congregation. This fonds contains congregational meeting minutes (1926-1970), financial records (1926-1950), and a family register (1926-1966). This fonds also contains a history book of Lena Mennonite Church from 1929-1968 (2003).
Inventory file list available.
No restrictions on access.
The material was deposited by Mrs. Mary Friesen and F. F. Enns in 1981 and confirmed by Anna Ens in 1994. Described by Bert Friesen 4 December 2001; edited by Selenna Wolfe 21 September 2020.