©Mennonite Heritage Centre 2002
Last updated April 17, 2002
Title: Gladstone Mennonite Church fonds
Extent: 16 cm of textual records
The Gladstone area was settled by Mennonites moving there from Saskatchewan in the 1930s. A Rudnerweide group was formed during these years. A Bergthaler group was formed in 1947 and a meeting house was constructed. Jacob Loewen had visited this area since the 1930s but never became part of the Bergthaler group. He gave leadership from the neighbouring area to the west until 1956. Finally in 1956 Jacob Friesen gave leadership to this group. He was still part of the leadership when the congregation withdrew from the Conference of Mennonites in Canada in 1994. Other leaders of the congregation were: A. C. Funk (1955-1962), Cornelius Martens (1980-1994), Randy Fehr (1992-1994).
This fonds contains congregational bulletins (1983-1993) and miscellaneous correspondence (1988-1993) which pertain to the life of the congregation at Gladstone.
Inventory file list available.
No restrictions on access.
The congregation deposited textual records at the Mennonite Heritage Centre. Described by Bert Friesen 23 November 2001.